Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Coach Chic's MP Drill Format

As a preface, I want to explain my need to place this entry in three different "Thinking The Game" categories. For, while it surely does involve some General knowledge, the drill format I'm going to explain and show here is awesome for perfecting both the Offensive and Defensive sides our game, as well as for helping our players improve their transitions from one phase of play to another.
Now, I'll once in awhile joke that some of the biggies in our game follow what this old coach is doing. And the start of this video might give you an indication of how that probably started. (Oh, I've given them plenty more cause through later years, but...) As I said in the preface, my MP Drill Format is truly awesome for teaching, practicing and then perfecting nearly every phase of a team's playing system. As I also suggest in the video, my MP has continually evolved through the years, and I've found ways to adapt it to all sorts of practice conditions (like off- or on-ice), and with all the different age groups. I will even suggest that member coaches should seek ways to alter the concepts to meet their own teams' needs. That's okay; I don't believe the MP Drill Format is done evolving yet. http://coachchic2.s3.amazonaws.com/mp-drill-format.flv By the way... A few years ago, I went to a far different type of forecheck than that depicted in the video. And this presented some real challenges as I tried to fit it into my MP. Again, though, coaching is all about troubleshooting. And, as I said previously, the MP can -- and should -- be adapted to meet a given team's needs. So, sometime in September I'm going to show you a simple but rather interesting thing I added over the past summer. For now, however, get your own MP Drill Format going. You won't be sorry.
PS: No, that isn't me shown coaching in any of the video clips. I'm always stuck with the camera. :) Instead, the most prominent guys shown are two great former NEHI camp coaches, Dave P and Rich B.
Be a friend: EVERY worthwhile Comment helps me in the search engines!

No comments:

Post a Comment