Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Modern Hockey's Frantic Pace

Most members know this is the time of year when I'm rummaging virtually everywhere for new hockey training and playing ideas. And, while I've been known to dig through plenty of on-line and off-line manuals, as well as scientific research papers, a site like YouTube.com can prove an equally valuable resource.
In all honesty, I don't like following what other hockey coaches are doing, mainly because most of them still do stuff straight from the '70's or '80's. Still, I will check on them, and maybe borrow something that I can adapt to modern day needs.
Where I get the most inspiration is from checking on what folks in other sports are doing. Perhaps because of their work environment -- amid scientists, the likes of college track, tennis and football coaches are usually on the cutting edge. But so are many independent martial arts instructors, strength coaches and boxing trainers.
That said, I've several times found the videos offered by Coach Miletto to be of special interest. Take a look at the one below to see what I mean.
-- Dennis Chighisola

Modern Hockey's Frantic Pace

Now, as I've watched the recent Stanley Cup playoffs, I've come to the realization that older generations of players just couldn't have ever kept up the frantic pace played today. Oh, I believe the greats of the past would still be great today. But then, they'd have different role models before them and around them, and they'd also have science on their side when it comes to training. And it's that science I'm really thinking about... I mean, the National Hockey League guys are unbelievably strong, they are fast, and they're in remarkable shape. A lot like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep going and going and going. And, although many within youth hockey aren't yet aware of it, most of these traits are owed to some really, really intense off-season off-ice workouts. With that, I'd like you to take a look at the following video before I make any further comments... "Suspension training" -- as demonstrated in that video -- is something relatively new (at least I've only seen it taken to this level over the past few years). And, if I'm correct on this, it's sudden rise in popularity probably coincides with our want to enhance our athletes' core strength. Ya, for sure, anything done hanging from ropes is going to REALLY tax the core muscles. I might also mention that an athlete's arms and shoulders and back -- and even his or her lower body -- can be further isolated when hung in this manner. Okay, now my personal tips, as I consider adding this type of training to The MOTION Lab...
I'd have to study this form of training for quite awhile to decide on how close the above demonstrated routine would help my hockey players. I'm pretty certain I WOULD make lots of adjustments -- in the exercises I select, their duration, intensity, and so forth. Remember: we're readying our players for hockey.
For God's sake, be careful when overseeing a program like this.
I'm sure you can search the web to find some fairly expensive suspension devices. I doubt I'll do that, though. Naw, I'm more likely to make my own, just as I have numerous other Lab gadgets. In most instances, I need to make each new contraption fit with the limitations of the Lab, or with a unique way I want to use it.
As I joke often, "New England Hockey (or CoachChic.com) recycles!" ;) In the case of building my own suspension devices, I know I can combine some strong rope and used bicycle inner tubes to get the desired training effects. Trust me, that the owner of a bicycle shop near you is going to be thrilled that you'll take a box full of old tubes off his hands.
You may not have thought of this before (because I initially hadn't), but tires and tubes come in all sizes and shapes. So, it's likely you'll have access to long, thin ones, short and fat ones, and several types in between. It might not be a bad idea to grab a number of each, since you'll want to test them later to match their elasticity with the strength of a given player or group of players.
As you sort through a batch of used tubes, inspect each one carefully for cuts and holes. (Hey, there was a reason they were discarded.) I continue to inspect these prior to each use, because there's always the possibility one will start to tear as it's subjected to lots of stress.
When cutting each tube, I usually begin by snipping a few inches to each side of the valve stem. With that piece gone, what usually remains is a pretty long stretch of rubber.
In closing, one reason I like new gadgets is because of my concerns with the balance between repetition and boredom. Oh, I love to challenging my older players, and helping them gain the same frantic capabilities their older counterparts now achieve. And, it's likely I could get this done with a limited amount of gear. Still, players like change, and they especially like to fight against some new tool they haven't seen much before. So, while science might suggest that one gadget or another can do the job, we coaches have to remember that it's our artful approach to training that often spells the difference.
*
As always, I'd love to hear your feedback on this subject!

No comments:

Post a Comment